Lobster Burger with Brown Butter Aioli
"Seafood and sun make for the brightest gatherings. This is my go-to recipe for summertime guests. It’s what I consider a simple pleasure—feel good food that’s easy and delicious.”
—Karen, founder and chef of Crumb & Spigot in Chagrin Falls, Ohio
in the kitchen with Karen Gorman
Brown Butter Aioli
1 c. mayonnaise
4 oz. high-fat butter
1/2–1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
Burgers (yields 4)
1 1/4 lb. raw knuckle + claw
lobster meat, pressed dry
and sliced into 1" chunks
8 oz. raw shrimp meat,
peeled and pressed dry
5 oz. high-fat butter, softened
plus extra for cooking
1 lemon, zested
1/3 c. scallions, white + green parts, thinly sliced
1/4 c. flat parsley, chopped
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. aleppo pepper
2 c. baby arugula
4 brioche or challah buns
1. To make aioli, sauté butter in a pan on medium heat and let brown—it will smell nutty. Remove from heat, scrape into a bowl. Mix in mayo and lemon juice. Salt and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, mix lobster with zest, scallion, parsley, salt and aleppo. Set aside. Place shrimp and butter inside a food processor and pulse until chunky, not puréed.
3. Combine shrimp butter with lobster mixture. Mix thoroughly, chill and form patties. Melt 1 tbsp of butter in skillet on medium-high heat. Let foam and brown.
4. Adjust heat to medium and sauté patties gently, letting butter inside bathe and cook the lobster meat as it melts. sauté one side until golden-brown. flip to other side and cook to 140°.
5. Assemble cooked burgers on toasted buns with aioli and arugula. Pair with The Wine Spot’s recommended beer—Fat Head’s Goggle Fogger Hefeweizegrab.
Explore our work.