in the kitchen with jill vedaa
We sat down with Jill Vedaa of Salt to talk favorite dishes and first dinners. The recently nominated James Beard chef talked about savoring memorable moments around the table and a whole roasted chicken with every intent to be shared.
To thank Jill for sharing her time, BurkleHagen has donated $100 to the Greater Cleveland Food Bank—we’d love you to do the same.
Stylist: Heidi Robb
|1/2 cup||kosher salt|
|1||whole lemon zest|
|1 tsp||dry thyme|
garlic cloves, minced
|1 tsp||whole cumin|
|1 tsp||ground pepper|
|1||whole free-range chicken|
|1 stick||unsalted butter|
|1||medium celery root, peeled|
|1||medium spanish onion|
|2 handfuls||baby yukon potatoes|
|2||honey crisp apples|
1. Create dry brine—mix salt, lemon zest, thyme, minced garlic, cumin and pepper. Rub brine on every inch of bird. Refrigerate bird covered for at least 4 hours, overnight is best.
2. Rinse bird and pat dry. Rub softened unsalted butter over and underneath skin.
3. Rough chop all veggies except leave yukon potatoes whole. Combine vegetables in medium bowl, toss in olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme.
4. Cover bottom of roasting pan with veggies. Wedge the apples and mix in. Place bird on top and cover loosely with foil. Roast on 400° in oven for 45 minutes.
5. Remove foil from pan and leave to roast in oven for an additional 45 minutes until skin is crisp and meat thermometer reads 165°. Remove roast from oven, let rest for 10—15 minutes. Transfer to serving dish and enjoy!